- The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP) is a provincial statute that applies to all local authorities. LAFOIP promotes the openness and transparency of municipal governments and the protection of an individual’s privacy. The Act enables people to apply for access to records held by the City and sets out rules on how the City collects, uses and shares personal information.
- The City of Weyburn is a local authority and strives to operate in an open and transparent manner providing individuals with access to records in the possession or control of the City with limited and specific exceptions.
- If you are seeking information, the information can usually be provided routinely. To find out if the information you want is routinely available, contact the City Department that you believe has the information. You may be directed to another department If the department contacted does not have the information. If the information you seek is not routinely available, you will be directed to the Access and Privacy Officer within the City Clerk’s Office to make a formal access to information request under the Act.
- The majority of information held by the City of Weyburn can be accessed through the normal release of information by staff, without using the Act. Examples of this include: answers to questions related to departmental operations, open agendas, open minutes, bylaws, policies and procedures.
- A formal request for recorded information is a formal process to access records that are not routinely available. The formal request must be made in writing through an Access to Information Request Application Form. The request should provide sufficient detail to assist staff in locating/retrieving the records.
- When submitting an Access to Information Request there is a $20 application fee payable at the time the request is made. Additional fees may apply when you are given access to a record or part of a record as per section 5 of The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Regulations.
The Access to Information Request and the $20 access fee for records should be forwarded by mail to:
Office of the City Clerk
City of Weyburn
157 3rd Street
Weyburn, SK S4H 2K6
Tel: (306) 848-3209
For additional information visit the Office of the Saskatchewan Information and Privacy Commissioner https://oipc.sk.ca/