The owner of each building in Saskatchewan shall ensure that the building is designed, constructed, erected, placed, altered, repaired, renovated, demolished, removed, used or occupied in accordance with the building standards (current edition of National Building Code as adopted).
Construction Requirements: Section 8 of the UBAS Act & Regulations
Application for Building Permit
Building permit applications can be made a City Hall, Planning and Development Department, faxed or e-mail, along with the application form. Plan review will be completed for all projects to ensure compliance with the Code as well as any applicable municipal bylaws such as the Zoning Bylaw.
Information required to be submitted for permit
- Site plan showing the existing buildings on site as well as the located of the proposed project complete with all dimensions as well as setback distances to the property lines.
- Foundation Plan – show the location and dimensions of walls, beams, columns, piles, footings and all other construction details and materials;
- Cross Section Plan – showing the details of construction for all exterior walls, floor systems, interior walls, roof system and exterior finish;
- Floor Plan – show the location and dimensions of all labelled rooms, location of windows and doors. The floor plan shall also include the electrical plan showing smoke and carbon monoxide detector locations;
- List of all contractors who will be involved in the project;
- Estimated construction value of the project; and
- Anticipated start and completion date
- Additional information may be required by the Building Official in order to complete a thorough review to ensure compliance with the Code.
Please note that NO development shall proceed, nor building permit application be made, without a Development Permit except for:
- Maintenance or repair work where a building permit is not required;
- Temporary facilities required for the duration of development operations in which a development permit has been approved;
- Accessory buildings less than 75m²; or
An approved building permit for a detached, semi-detached or duplex dwelling unit shall also constitute as a development permit.
Building Permit Fee Schedule
Permit fees shall be paid at time of application or upon issuance of the said building permit.
Calculation of fees is based on $5 / $1,000 of construction value with a minimum permit fee of $50 for Part 9 projects and a minimum fee of $2,000 for Part 3 projects. The penalty for beginning a project without a permit is double the applicable permit fee.
For more information please contact the building department at (306) 848-3221.