Effective January 1, 2022 the City of Weyburn has implemented a Commercial Incentive Program Policy. Your Business may be eligible for an incentive under this new Policy!
The program is designed to attract and retain businesses, promote a strong local economy, and support the expansion of businesses to create more employment opportunities in Weyburn.
What projects qualify for the program?
The Commercial Incentive program applies to three (3) main categories: Façade and & Site Improvements; New Construction; and Vacant Buildings.
Façade and Site Improvements:
This category applies to existing or new businesses in a commercial location who are interested in completing some improvements to the façade of the building or the site (property) that the business is located on. Projects which may be eligible under the program include:
- Exterior Lighting
- Doors, entrances
- Window Replacement
- Exterior Painting
- Brick cleaning / repairs
- Parking Lot Resurfacing
- Sidewalks / Walkways
Applicants will receive a rebate of 25% of eligible costs for façade and site improvements with a maximum rebate of $5,000 based on a total value of $20,000.
This category applies to new development/construction on vacant properties. The minimum project value is $500,000.
The following tax abatements would be applied:
- Year 1: (from date on the original development permit) 100%
- Year 2: 100%
- Year 3: 100%
- Year 4: 100% (projects with permit value – $1,500,000 – $2,499,999)
- Year 5: 100% (project with permit value – $2,500,000 and over)
This category is for new businesses going into previously vacant commercial and industrial buildings, it will assist new owners by offsetting the cost of having the building meet building code and development standards.
A Business under the Vacant Buildings category will receive a tax abatement of 100% for 1 year.
General Eligibility requirements for Incentive Program:
- Must be a commercially assessed property and must not be in arrears for taxes, utilities, or other municipal charges;
- Only the registered owner(s) of the property or a Business owner (Renter or Leaser) who is entered into a net/triple net lease agreement with the property owner, at the time of commencement of the project approval, is/are eligible for the incentive;
- The project must meet all applicable building safety codes, development requirements and comply with Zoning Bylaw requirements upon completion and any applicable approvals must be obtained for the project (development permits, building permits, etc.);
- Timeframes apply for when a property may become eligible again under the policy depending on previous incentives. A project is not eligible for more than one Commercial Incentive.
- Project may not commence until the application has been approved (past improvements are not eligible).
- Business must have a valid City of Weyburn Business License.
How to Apply
If you think your project may be eligible and would like to discuss it further, please contact the Planning & Development Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-848-3221.
You can apply for the incentive program with the Commercial Incentive Program Application Form