Demolition or removal of buildings can be a dangerous activity. For this reason, demolition activities are regulated and there are specific requirements placed on the individual responsible for the demolition project. The City of Weyburn Building & Planning Department can provide additional details and will be pleased to assist you with questions and application procedures.
The demolition of buildings is regulated by Bylaw 2012.3241, and by the National Building Code. A demolition permit must be obtained before starting demolition or removal of any building.
Before a demolition permit can be issued by the Building Department:
- Property taxes must be paid to the date of demolition;
- The owner must sign an application stating that demolition will comply with all relevant codes and regulations. This permit also advises the applicant that they are responsible for any damages that may occur due to the demolition;
- A sewer and water disconnect deposit must be paid; and
- The applicable demolition fee must be paid.
- $50 Application Fee
- $1500 Damage Deposit – As per Building Bylaw 2012.3241: In addition, the applicant shall deposit, with the municipality, the sum of $1,500.00 to cover any costs incurred to the City for restoring the site, roadway, sidewalks, curbs or gutters, after the building has been demolished or removed to such condition that it is, in the opinion of the Council or its representative, not dangerous to public safety. If the applicant who demolished or removed the building, restores the site, roadway, sidewalk, curbs or gutters to a conditions satisfactory to the Council or its authorized representative, the sum deposited, or portion thereof, shall be refunded.
- $1000 Deposit – As per the Water Works Bylaw 2007.3358: Deposit for abandoning water service connection due to demolition or removal of connected building.
Occupational Health & Safety
All employers involved in demolitions should be aware that the Saskatchewan Occupational Health & Safety Unit has specific regulations employers must follow. Contact them for details at (306) 787-4496.
National Fire Code (NFC)
The National Fire Code requires a fire plan be prepared for every demolition site. Requirements vary depending on size of the project. Please discuss with the City of Weyburn Fire Department prior to proceeding.
Waste demolition material may be disposed of only at landfills approved by Saskatchewan Environment. Hazardous materials, if any, may be disposed in accordance with appropriate provincial legislation.