The City of Weyburn Fire Prevention Bylaw is intended to provide for the protection of residents and visitors to our City from the effects of fire. It provides for the enforcement of the Saskatchewan Fire Prevention Act, the Saskatchewan Fire Code Regulations and the National Fire Code of Canada within the City.
The Bylaw provides for the prevention of fires in structures in the City as well as ensuring that structures are designated to limit the spread of fire. Early warning and ease of evacuation from buildings are key elements of the bylaw.
The Bylaw makes it an offence to:
- park in front of a fire hydrant,
- plant or erect any object within 3 feet of a fire hydrant or so as to obscure the view of the hydrant from the street,
- drive over fire hoses,
- light an open fire or burn garden refuse in the City,
- install an indoor or outdoor fireplace without a permit and
- store flammable or combustible liquids indoors.
In addition, every home must have at least one operable smoke detector placed between the living area and the sleeping area.
The Bylaw provides for penalties of up to $5,000.00 for infractions of these and other offences in the Bylaw.
Inquires should be directed to the Fire Department at (306) 848-3240.