Constructed in 1906, it was built as the Calvary Baptist Church. To preserve it as a heritage building, it was moved from downtown Weyburn in 1985 and transformed into a centre for the performing arts. It is a tribute to the late Honourable T.C. Douglas, the former Baptist minister who in 1930 preached his very first sermon in the building. The T.C. Douglas Centre was officially opened on Oct. 19, 1991 as a tribute to a man who made an outstanding contribution to his country.
The centre houses the Tommy Douglas Memorabilia Room, Steinway grand piano, a 130-seat theatre and several productions are presented each year by members of the Crocus 80 Theatre Group. The building is available to rent for various events from meetings to performances. The facility is open year round.
Thomas Clement Douglas was born in 1904 in Falkirk, Scotland and moved to Canada with his family in 1910. Tommy went on to become the Premier of Saskatchewan, leader of the Federal NDP Party, and the father of what we now know as “Medicare”. In 2004, Mr. Douglas was voted in a national television event as “The Greatest Canadian”.