The General Hospital was built as a private institution by Dr. Smith and Dr. Bowman in 1905. It was the second building constructed south of the river at that time and one of a handful of stone buildings constructed in Weyburn.
As a private hospital, it was funded by private subscriptions, donations and patient fees. Between 1915 and 1918, the building was used as headquarters for the Royal North West Mounted Police. Later, during the first world war, it was a storage site for Red Cross supplies. It became a single family dwelling during the 1930’s and remains as such today. Rumors persist, however, of a ghostly presence from its former General Hospital days.