Building permit applications can be made at City Hall, Building & Planning Department, faxed or emailed, along with the application form. Plan review will be completed for all projects to ensure compliance with the National Building Code as well as any applicable municipal bylaws such as the Zoning Bylaw.
Building Permit Fee Schedule
Permit fees shall be paid at time of application or upon issuance of the said building permit.
Calculation of fees is based on $5/$1000 of construction value with a minimum permit fee of $50 for Part 9 projects and a minimum fee of $2000 for Part 3 projects. The penalty for beginning a project without a permit is double the applicable permit fee.
Information required to be submitted for permit:
- Site plan showing the existing buildings on site as well as the location of the proposed project complete with all dimensions as well as setback distances to the property lines;
- Foundation plan showing the location and dimensions of walls, beams, columns, piles, footings and all other construction details and materials;
- Cross section plan showing the details of construction for all exterior walls, floor systems, interior walls, roof system and exterior finish;
- Floor plan showing the location and dimensions of all labeled rooms, location of windows and doors. The floor plan shall also include the electrical plan showing smoke and carbon monoxide detector locations;
- List of all contractors who will be involved in the project;
- Estimated construction value of the project; and
- Additional information may be required by the Building Official in order to complete a thorough review to ensure compliance with the Code.
Please Note: No development shall proceed, nor building permit application be made, without a development permit, except for:
- Maintenance or repair work where a building permit is not required;
- Temporary facilities required for the duration of development operations in which a development permit has been approved;
- Accessory buildings less than 75 m²; or
An approved building permit for a detached, semi-detached or duplex dwelling unit, shall also constitute as a development permit.