Weyburn City Council approved Beekeeping Bylaw 2022-3449 in November 2022. The Bylaw allows for Urban/Backyard Beekeeping on some residential properties within City limits.
The requires a Beekeeping License to be obtained prior to owning or harbouring bees and licenses must be renewed annually. The initial application fee is $100 and the annual renewal fee is $25. All beekeepers must adhere to The Apiaries Act and The Apiaries Regulations and register as a beekeeper with the Ministry of Agriculture.
The following regulations apply to Beekeeping in the City of Weyburn (including but not limited to):
- Beekeeping shall only be permitted on single detached or semi-detached residential properties.
- A max. of 2 hives on properties lass than 1000 sq.m., max. 3 hives on properties 1000 – 2000 sq.m.; max. 4 hives on properties more than 2000 sq.m.
- Hives must be in the rear yard.
- Hive must be a minimum of 1 metre from any property line and there must be a fence of 1.8m between neighbouring properties.
- Hive entrance facing away from adjacent residential properties
- Not be within 25 metres from any public park, recreation space, or school property
- Water source must be in rear yard
- Standard of care to prevent disease and swarms
- Must notify all surrounding neighbours within 25m radius with a letter from the City
- Notify all adjacent neighbours prior to honey extraction days.
See Bylaw 2022-3449 for complete regulations.
If you are interested in keeping bees please fill out the application form HERE to apply for a Beekeeping License.
If you have questions about Beekeeping in the City of Weyburn please contact the Planning & Development Department at (306) 848-3221 or email@example.com.
If you spot a swarm in the City of Weyburn, please don’t try to harm the bees. Swarms are generally temporary and will often move on shortly if left alone. If you have concerns about a swarm please call City Hall at (306) 848-3200 during office hours or the Weyburn Police Service at (306) 848-3250 after hours.