Released July 24, 2018
Weyburn city council gives first reading to the proposed zoning bylaw amendments for cannabis retail stores in the city
WEYBURN – The following highlights are from the July 23, 2018, regular meeting of Weyburn City Council regarding the bylaw for cannabis retail stores:
- Council gave first reading to the proposed amendments to the Zoning Bylaw (2003.2099) to incorporate standards and regulations for future development of cannabis retail stores.
- A public hearing for the proposed bylaws will take place on Aug. 27, at the regularly scheduled council meeting.
Some of the proposed regulations include:
- Cannabis retail stores can be added as discretionary uses in the following zones:
- Central Business District
- Major Arterial Commercial
- Light Industrial
- No cannabis retail stores will be developed within a 200 metre radius of the following:
- Another approved cannabis retail store
- Any elementary school or high school
- Any nursery home or commercial daycare centre
- Any social service home or halfway house
- A discretionary use development permit with the City of Weyburn is required by cannabis retail stores. Applications to the city can be made once a “Cannabis Retail Store Permit” is acquired from the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority (SLGA) and retailers provide subsequent information required in subsection 4.4.2 of the Zoning Bylaw.
Cannabis retail stores will be regulated by SLGA and will comply with all federal and provincial regulations, as well as municipal bylaws and regulations.