The City of Weyburn Fire Prevention Bylaw is intended to provide for the protection of residents and visitors to our City from the effects of fire. It provides for the enforcement of the Saskatchewan Fire Prevention Act, the Saskatchewan Fire Code Regulations and the National Fire Code of Canada within the City.
The Bylaw provides for the prevention of fires in structures in the City as well as ensuring that structures are designated to limit the spread of fire. Early warning and ease of evacuation from buildings are key elements of the bylaw.
The Bylaw makes it an offence to:
- park in front of a fire hydrant,
- plant or erect any object within 3 feet of a fire hydrant or so as to obscure the view of the hydrant from the street,
- drive over fire hoses,
- light an open fire or burn garden refuse in the City,
- install an indoor or outdoor fireplace without a permit, and
- store flammable or combustible liquids indoors.
In addition, every home must have at least one operable smoke detector placed between the living area and the sleeping area.
- The Bylaw provides for penalties of up to $5,000.00 for infractions of these and other offences in the Bylaw.
- Permits are required by the City of Weyburnfor various activities such as conducting an open fire, working on fire protection equipment, having a fire pit in a yard and for special fire prevention safety inspections.
Fire Pit Permits (FCP)
- A Fire Code Permit is NON-TRANSFERABLE. The permit is only valid for the person (s) named on the Permit, at the address printed on the Permit. (No exceptions)
- The permit is valid for an outdoor fire place/fire pit, for cooking purposes only
- The permit authorizes the burning of charcoal, briquettes or wood only. (No exceptions)
The Fire Place/Fire Pit
- shall be enclosed and constructed of an non-combustible material, or be a commercially built product, (i.e. old washing machine insert)
- shall be enclosed with a screen or grate to contain sparks,
- shall have a surface or cooking area not exceeding 3,800 square centimeters (589 square inches) i.e. 2″ by 2″ or 24″ in diameter,
- shall be located a minimum of 3 meters (10 feet) from any building, property line and/or combustible material,
- shall be extinguished without delay should anyone complain, and
- may be inspected by the Weyburn Fire Department at any time.
A FCP is valid until revoked under the authority of the City of Weyburn Fire Prevention Bylaw 97 – 1957 Section V.1.6 (B), unless specifically written to the contrary on the permit. All FCPs issued since 23 Aug 1993 are valid, unless revoked. FCPs are available at no charge to non-profit organizations for special occasions. FCPs can ONLY be obtained at the Weyburn Fire Hall
You MUST retain your copy of the FCP and be prepared to show it to police and/or fire fighters when requested to do so.
Schedule “B” to Bylaw No. 97-1957
Effective 1 March 2000 to Present
PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE GST
Prices Subject to Change
|Annual Contractor Permit Fees|
|Commercial Cooking Equipment Protection Systems||$ 20.00|
|Fire Extinguisher Maintenance||$ 20.00|
|Sprinkler/Standpipe Installation & Maintenance||$ 20.00|
|Fire Alarm Maintenance and Certification||$ 20.00|
|Fire Hose Testing||$ 20.00|
|Review & Approval of plans for new and existing buildings for compliance with the National Fire Code of Canada, 1995||$ 50.00|
|Fireplace Approval – Existing Installations||$ 20.00|
|Outdoor Fireplace Approval (Excluding Barbeques)||$ 10.00|
|Burning Permit – Non fire place (Chief Issued Only)||$ 30.00|
|Third Party request for license purposes, real estate sales, insurance, or other such need||$ 30.00|
|File Search||$ 20.00|
|Request for Provincial licensing, i.e. Group Homes||$ 20.00|
|Fire Alarm System Certification||$ 35.00 per hour|
Weyburn Fire Department * 55 – 16th Street NE * PO Box 370 * Weyburn SK S4H 2K6