Recognizing the need for a second hospital for the treatment of the mentally ill in Saskatchewan, the Weyburn Hospital Act was proclaimed March 11, 1911. Construction did not start until 1919 and the Saskatchewan Hospital, as it was called, officially opened on December 29, 1921, and was by far the largest building in Saskatchewan at that time.
The building had a capacity of 900 patients, 60 nurses, and 60 attendants. The future addition of two rear wings increased the capacity to 1,800 patients and staff. The facility was considered on the cutting edge of experimental treatments for people with mental health issues and had a reputation of leading the way in therapeutic programming.
Such a large facility on the outskirts of town had a great impact on the City of Weyburn. Many men and women chose nursing, specifically because they could train and work locally. The hospital was truly a community of its own.
In 2006 the doors closed, and a new institution took its place (Tatagwa Long Term Care Facility). Several attempts were made to save this historic building, but it was ultimately demolished in 2009.
The history of the facility is explored in the documentary: